Tinnitus is often described as a perceptible sound that can be heard even though there is no external noise. In basic language many clients describe hearing the following sounds when it is quiet:
Many people often find this more debilitating than the actual hearing loss.
Tinnitus can range in severity from slight, occasional tinnitus to constant and severe. It is estimated that around 1% of the UK population suffers with this condition but simply choose to suffer without seeking medical assistance.
The Causes of Tinnitus
Tinnitus can be caused in a number of ways. These include:
- Noise damage
- Certain types of medication
- Ear Infections
- Trauma to the head or ear
The Effects of Tinnitus
Tinnitus affects people in different ways. The most common are:
- Disturbed sleep leaving people feeling tired
How the condition affects you largely depends upon the severity.
Treatments & Management
There is no know cure for tinnitus and the medical fraternity are not as yet altogether certain as to the cause of the problem. Most people are therefore encouraged to manage their condition with counselling and psychological therapy, cognitive behavioural therapy and masking devices that drown out the tinnitus sounds when you try and sleep.
Can I Seek Compensation for Tinnitus?
The severity of the condition dictates the level of compensation that can be awarded. We have set out the range of compensation that can be awarded below:
- Severe tinnitus with hearing loss £23,980 to £36,850
- Moderate tinnitus with hearing loss £12,100 to £23,980
- Mild tinnitus with some hearing loss £10,175 to £12,00
- Slight or occasional tinnitus with slight hearing loss £5,940 to £10,175
- Slight tinnitus Up to £5665
If you have tinnitus and have been exposed to noise or trauma then contact us today and we will help you recover the compensation you deserve.
What Can I be Compensated for?
We can assist you in seeking compensation for:
- The hearing loss or tinnitus
- The reasonable costs of any therapy or treatment
- In some cases the reasonable cost of any equipment such as hearing aids or tinnitus masking devices