At this time of year families get together to celebrate Christmas and New Year and in our experience, it is often when family members notice that parents and grandparents are having hearing difficulties. This is frequently shrugged off as age related but it may not be the case. The problems could also be noise induced hearing loss caused by working in a noisy industry many years ago.
The classic signs of noise induced hearing loss are:
- Struggling hear people when they are talking to you.
- Having to ask people to continually speak up when there is some sort of background noise.
- Not picking up full sentences and parts of words when people are speaking.
- Having the TV turned up louder than everyone else thinks is normal.
- Struggling to hear people on the telephone.
- Being told you are shouting when you think you talking at a normal level.
Many people simply accept this as part of the aging process and we often hear “I just thought it was my age”. This causes many people to suffer in silence and many only seek medical attention after years of denying there is a problem.
If you or a loved one are displaying these symptoms and have worked in noise then we would recommend you contact us immediately so we can advise whether you may be eligible to claim compensation in relation to the damage to your ears. Either telephone us on 0800 294 3065 or you can start the enquiry process online at the following link: www.hearinglossadvice.co.uk/start-your-claim